You are here: home → archives → Aug 2010 → article
By Corey Thompson
Be the first to write a comment on this article
As we do most summers, we've had a lot of motorcycles through town. No matter the make of bike, Harley or BMW or Kawasaki, or whatever, what kind of tunes are they listening to as they cruise along? Here's a very unofficial, random sampling of bikers that were here for the 16th Annual Beartooth Rally. They were each asked if they listened to any tunes while riding, and if so, what were they listening to?
- Aubie was setting up his bike for the day, listening to the Stones' "40 Licks." He said he listened to it every morning before work to fire him up for the day ahead of him.
- Dennis listens to 80's rock.
- Jason doesn't listen to any music. He said he tried an iPod once, but he really preferred the head time to just ride and think.
- Timber listens to rock & roll and country. "I had the Stones on when I first pulled into town. Perfect!"
- Scotty is just ridin'. "No music."
- When asked, Bruce went off on the fact that he loves Montana because there's no helmet law. "A helmet is just a cage, and my bike is another freedom from a cage." He listens to the "music of nature."
- Rick listens to the air.
- Brent and Kajron listen to blues, dance, and reggae music. "Always music!"
- Shelly listens to classic rock, especially 70's and 60's music.
- Carl and Donna never have any music playing. "It's dangerous. You can't hear what's behind you."
- Ray just likes to hear his motor.
- Russell's next bike will definitely have music.
- John thinks that music is a hazard because it has to be turned up so loud in order to be heard.
- Darrell only listens to music on long trips.
- Jamie is offended by music on a bike. "We actually ride, not sit in a car."
- Dennis listens to country music on the radio when he can find a station.
- Clinton said that he listens to music everywhere else. "When I'm on my bike, I like the silence."
- Julie has an iPod with Metallica and Godsmack and 80's rock.
- Jack just rolled his eyes at the question. "It's a Harley, man."
- Jeremiah doesn't want the distraction of music. "I'm the driver."
- Susie, his passenger, listens to music occasionally, but says that she mostly listens to the music in her head.
- Jack (driver): "Just her screaming!"
Kasey (passenger): "Whatever."
- Misti said that she usually doesn't listen to music because it takes away from the experience.
- Cindi and Dave like to talk with each other about stuff around them, and don't listen to any music.
- Mike and Linda agreed that if they had a different bike with that option, they would definitely listen to music.
- Brian, Sherry, and David listen to oldies.
- Jeff prefers to listen for other vehicles.
- Dianne likes to listen to her bike and how it's running. "The purpose of a bike ride is to get away from everything. Otherwise, I might as well be in a van."
- Eric and Marie listen to Metallica and M?tley Cr?e.
- Wayne said that he hears enough yackity yacking all day, and doesn't miss music a bit.
- Mike and Rick listen to country, rock, and blues.
- Chad said that during the Beartooth Rally he won't listen to music because he wants to pay attention to his surroundings. On a long trip he might.
- Wally listens to FM The Mountain.
- Walter only listens to music when he's in the middle of nowhere.
- Bill (driver): "Just her mouth."
Gina (passenger): "I like it quiet."
- Pig Pen said that he has only one song stuck in his head for the past 30 years:
Arlo Guthrie's "I don't want a pickle - Just want to ride my motorcycle."
Unofficially? Two-thirds of the bikers interviewed choose not to listen to any music. Surprised?
Be the first to comment on this article!
NOTE: Because of problems with automated spambots entering hundreds of comments on our site, we no longer allow comments with links in them. Thanks for understanding.
You are posting from ip address 220.127.116.11